Tuesday 28 June 2011

School life

Left to right: Male and Female Vice Principal, myself, Mrs Lee (head teacher) and DeAnthony (fellow English teacher).

We opened the new staff room with some Korean folk songs and an Elvis cover.

My afterschool class, cute kids but they can be a handful!

One of my 5th Grade classes.





I am teaching at 금호 (Guemho) Elementary School and with only 3 weeks left of the term before the summer camps and then summer holidays begin I don't know where the time has gone. Monday - Friday I've gotten into a routine, I have the commute perfected, and every morning I get a wave/bow and 안녕하세요! from the station master. I teach 4th and 5th grade classes (aged 11-12). It's not really what I was expecting as I had indicated that my preference was to teach high school level. However, I am really enjoying the challenge that elementary level provides. Lot's of singing and dancing, the activities are well thought out and you have to really try and make the lessons as interesting and relevant as possible to maintain their attention.

No matter how much I eat for breakfast, I am always starving by lunch, and it is so hit or miss. Mostly hit and sometimes delicious and occasionally disappointing. In general I love Korean food and nearly all my meals are Korean with the exceptions of breakfast and the odd western dinner or pasta dish (I make a mean puttanesca sauce btw).

There have been loads of school events and dinners over the semester. One day we were all given the afternoon off and we made our way to Olympic Park and exercised/walked/cycled in groups before reconvening and enjoying a seafood meal together. The funny thing about most of these events is you are given no warning whatsoever. On this occasion I had my football gear with me so I went running. A couple of weeks ago we were told that we would be having a staff photo together so dress smart. The temperature was 30+ and I wore a full suit with a tie,. waited all day for the photo - nothing. Maybe they just didn't invite me :)




No comments:

Post a Comment